Thursday, October 16, 2008

Stride with Pride

Hello Team Asha,

I am really happy I took that step to sign up for the Strides of Hope.

I did not believe running in a marathon was something I could do, especially after recovering from a challenging medical condition less than 3 years ago. I just signed up for it on the spur of the moment with the thought that I could always back out of it if it got to be too much for me. That was 10 weeks ago. I attended the ramp up sessions and huffed and puffed my way through the runs. What kept me going was the encouragement I received from seasoned runners, that it would get better. I was not so sure. I kept reading blogs by other runners whose shoes were singing their praises and all I felt was pain in every muscle and joint.

Since then I have taken part in a 5K run with the team and successfully completed it, started training with Rogue and am thoroughly enjoying it. The aches and pains are still there reminding me that I need to make an earnest effort. The thought that life is precious and what time we have needs to be spent meaningfully keeps me at it. The biggest edge anybody has in life, is not money, but education. The greatest gift anybody can give another is the gift of education. It is very heartening to see what a difference ASHA has made in the lives of thousands of young ones that do not have the opportunity in life to get the much needed education that many of us consider a birthright. The thought that I can make a small contribution towards this great cause helps in overcoming the aches and pains I feel and keeps me going.

Way to go Team ASHA!

3 comments:

Charanya said...

Revathi Maami...You are a rockstar and role model to everyone in Team Asha!!!

Am so glad you're running with us this year! It's going to be a blast and an experience that will be cherished for a long time to come!

Sharanya said...

Revathiji, you are an inspiration to all of us! I really admire your courage and dedication in doing what you're doing! Your sincerity and determination are simply amazing! We're here to support you and cheer you all the way across the finish line - and beyond!

Stephanie Hardie said...

Three cheers for Revathiji!!